West Hills Montessori is proud to be an Oregon Green School!
Calculating the amount of lunch trash being produced each day at our campuses was an important exercise in awareness for our school community. And it’s a big part of the reason we embraced our Oregon Green School’s certification with passion and purpose.
With a little extra planning and forethought, it’s easy to pack a healthy, waste-free lunch for your child. Here are some useful tips:
- Reusable containers for sandwiches and other foods
- Fresh, whole fruits and vegetables without packaging
- Yogurt packaged in containers larger than 6 ounces, or purchased in bulk and transferred to reusable container
- Drinks packed in containers which can be reused (such as a thermos) or recycled
- Snack foods (such as crackers or dried fruit) purchased in bulk and transferred into a reusable container
- Washable, reusable utensils (fork/spoon)
- Reusable (non-toxic gel) ice packs
AVOID the use of non-recyclable or non-reusable items such as:
- Plastic baggies for sandwiches or other foods
- Individually packaged fruit or applesauce
- Individually packaged yogurt in tubes or containers smaller than 6 ounces
- Individually packaged fruit drinks with plastic straws
- Individually packaged snack foods such as crackers, trail mix, dried fruit
- Plastic utensils (fork/spoon)
- Toxic (chemical) ice packs
You’ll find some fantastic waste-free lunch friendly resources at the Kids Konserve website.
Here’s to waste-free and healthy!